Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty and waived his first court appearance after being charged with involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting on the set of his film Rust, court officials announced Thursday.
Baldwin and the film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, were both charged last month with two counts of involuntary manslaughter over the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in October 2021.
First assistant director David Halls has already agreed to plead no contest for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon. The plea agreement is pending a judge's approval, prosecutors have said.
All three were scheduled to make their first court appearances remotely on Friday, though Baldwin and Halls filed a waiver of first appearance this week and no hearing will be held for them. Both pleaded not guilty to their charges in their waivers.
District Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer also issued an order setting conditions of Baldwin's release, including that he must not possess any firearms, not consume alcohol and have no contact with any potential witnesses unless it's related to filming the movie.
Gutierrez-Reed's hearing is scheduled for 10:15 a.m. MST Friday.
The charges followed a lengthy investigation into the on-set shooting, which has also spawned multiple lawsuits, including from Hutchins' family.
In the statement of probable cause, investigator Robert Shilling said that evidence showed that Baldwin had his finger inside the trigger, and that the trigger was pulled -- contradicting Baldwin's statements.
In Gutierrez-Reed's charging document, Shilling claimed that the armorer's "deviation from known standards...directly caused the fatal death of Hutchins," including not insisting Baldwin have proper firearm training, or correcting him on "dangerous" safety violations such as pointing the weapon at people and having his finger on the trigger."